Thursday, October 29, 2009

I'm taking this post out of hiding now. And yes, I'm in pain. It won't disappear. I guess that means I should drug up. Pass the beer. And the shotgun.

I wrote and published this post two months ago. I shut off comments immediately after publication. Then I hid it in draft to get it off my blog because it was too upsetting for me to handle. The truth is, though - this has been my experience and it's often how I still feel. I have reposted it below and it is open to comments now.



The Mental Health Profession's Not-So-Secret Manifesto

(Not to be confused with the client's manifesto.)

The real goal for fucked up people who have been tortured and abused is for them to get their shit together, stop whining, stop freaking out, stop bothering other people with their pathetic crap, and just generally ‘stop it’. If those people could just shut up and act normal for a change, then they would soon see that everything is just fine and they really just brought all the misery on themselves by making too much of things. They should be living in the present moment. And if they can’t do that, then they should be drugged because they are essentially defective. Drugging is good. The stupider the abused person becomes, the better off everyone else will be. When the abused person’s brain is effectively subdued, they will finally stop whining and the rest of us can get some peace. Just don’t look at their dead expressions or their bizarre muscle carriage and don't listen to all the whining about the health-destroying side effects. We must protect our own ability to live in the present moment lest we share their fate. And the fate of those who make too much of things and do not live in the present moment is a grim one. It is only grim to us, of course, if we allow those people to be important. If we recognize their unimportance, then we will not be afflicted. Don’t make too much of them. They should be living in The Now. Their misery is their own fault.

It’s not really that big a deal if someone grew up at the mercy of torturers who hated them. That is not a big deal because it’s not happening right now. It’s in the past.

It doesn’t really matter if a girl, who is now a woman, was raped and held captive overnight in fear for her life from a man who wasn’t quite sane. It doesn’t matter that he forced her to bathe in his bathtub, that his sweat dripped in her eyes and burned them, and that she could scarcely breathe while she was pinned under his body while he slept. It doesn’t matter. It’s not happening right now. It’s in the past.

It doesn’t matter if someone was forcibly injected with drugs and held down while their genitals were mutilated. It’s not a big deal because it’s not happening right now. It’s in the past. Those people just make too much of things.

People who are bothered by the past really need to cut the crap. They need to keep their eye on the goal of acting normal so they can stop being such a drag on everyone else. And it doesn’t really matter how they accomplish the goal, either. Self-regulation is the key because it spares other people the burden of listening to their hysterical nonsense. They're all a bunch of drama queens, so whatever works. Alcohol, drugs, razor blades, burning… In addition to these quieting activities, there are probably other activities that should be given up because they cause upset. Activities that scare and trigger off the drama of this cry baby bunch should be avoided. They don't need real activities anyway - they're not even real people - not like you and me. It doesn’t matter if all they have left is a pulse. Who cares? Those people are not valuable. They’re a pain in the ass. Let them drug up, drink up and carve themselves to pieces instead of trying to live beyond their capacity and then bothering people with their incessant crying when they fail. It's quieter that way. It doesn’t matter what they do to themselves. Acceptance is key. It’s all acceptable because it accomplishes the goal without upsetting normal people. Don’t believe the do-gooder types who say that those people need compassion and should be allowed to 'feel things’. The do-gooders are only lying to them and setting them up for a fall. They all change their minds when they hear how much whining and sniveling is actually involved. It’s better to just tell those people the truth from the start, and the truth is that no one, not even a do-gooder, wants to listen to them and no one really cares. Those people are a burden, and with any luck, the pharmaceutical companies will soon kill them all off out of respect for the rest of us. God knows it would make my job easier. It helps to know that the ones who won't be killed or rendered sufficiently retarded by drinking the Big Pharma koolaid will eventually kill themselves when they realize the truth of what I'm saying.

I'm Dr. Mary Poppins and I approved this message. Yes, I’m demented, but we're all a little demented. It's the human condition. Big deal. I don’t let any of this stuff bother me. Why should I? These thoughts are all so five minutes ago. It’s the present moment now. (And I hate to break it to you, but if you are bothered by this then it is by your own choosing. It is all your fault. Maybe that means you’re one of Those People? I wouldn’t let that get around town if I were you - and yes, I’m glad I’m not you.) And now, if you'll excuse me, I have normal people with real problems who need my help. I'm off to rid our beautiful world of compulsive littering, jaywalking, nail biting, marital bickering and job stress. It's my calling.




10 comments:

  1. Yep. It's one of the reasons why I'm not in therapy. Sometimes I think it would be nice to have a supposedly objective person to bounce ideas off, but more often than not I just end up leaving the therapist pissed off and disgusted that I spent my money to be told I'm defective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand, Lily. Thank you for commenting. I'm in so much pain. So much fucking pain. I guess I have to go to bed now. And I don't think you're defective. I think you're a good person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And it's so cruel and unfair what often happens to people like us when we are at the end of our rope and just need a little help. When we just need someone to recognize that we are actual humans who are worthy of real care and respect. I just want to be be a person like everyone else gets to be. But I can't. Because I hurt SO MUCH and I just know I will be rejected and insulted because of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First, big huge HUGS because I really hope you will be feeling better soon!

    Then of course, I will have to disagree with this post. Probably because I am studing towards becoming a psychotherapist :D ah but I do it because I care. Because I've been/am there, I know healing can be done and I want to help others heal.
    I know it's difficult to find a good therapist but I do believe it can be done.

    Many safe hugs coming your way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The problem is, if you want to be a therapist, you have to heal your own pain first. Most fail to do that and their clients pay a very big price due to the denial and dissociation of their therapist. You're young yet. You'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Umm but that's why I am in therapy now, willing to work through my pain and trying to heal. I was married to a man who abused me. He did horrible things to me. Now, 6 years later, I hold no anger towards him, no fear of him anymore. So I do believe healing is possible. And now I am going to try and heal what really needs to be healed but I believe it can be done and I believe in myself, even though I have major ups and downs in this area.
    It would be awfully sad if I sat down and gave up?
    I strongly believe I can live a happy life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, Zan. I have also experienced healing from something similar to what you did. It is possible. Like you, I am still hounded by the wounds of the child. My cynicism is really just a warning. Be sure you have faced everything before you become a therapist. Too many gloss over there own stuff and they HURT people with it later. Please don't do that. You can be different. You can be better than that if you are very honest. If nothing else, you will be able to not hurt anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Lynn, (((hug)))
    I've had that therapist too... The most recent one liked to try to teach me how to "fake it" better... Interspersed with stories from her childhood spent just out of range of grandpa the pedophile. (Her sister apparently was not so lucky and/or is not as good at faking it).
    And then I say those ugly things to myself too... "Just shut up! You're such a stupid, pathetic, whining fucking baby. Bad stuff happens to people all the time and you don't see them going on and on and on about it. Why can't you be more like them? Lazy. Selfish. Irresponsible."
    It hurts the little girl (and now the teenager too - I'm not so thrilled that she came out of hiding... She's making my life hard.) I got off track... It hurts the broken, hurt parts to be told to shut up and fake it... It hurts them a lot.
    They've already been so hurt... No one should do anything to hurt them anymore...
    -

    ReplyDelete
  9. don't take down..I need to read and process and I so cannot do that right now

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Else. That sounds like a truly horrifying therapy experience. I'm so sorry you had to endure such a perversion from a therapist with that kind of an attitude. What really gets me is that ones like that can't figure out why we have problems with self-esteem and all the while they are the ones dumping that kind of garbage directly into our heads. (And yes, they have been hurt enough and no one should do anything to them anymore.)

    I'm not going to take it down this time, Grace. I thought it, I wrote it, I'm leaving it.

    ReplyDelete