Saturday, July 7, 2012

I guess I am out of the loop. I didn't know what a 'helicopter mom' is until I googled it after being accused of being such by one of my kids. I think I am not really one of those, I think I just want everything to be okay for them. And for ME. Because I completely freak out if I think they really need something that they are having trouble getting on their own. And so I throw them a rope. Yep, I get it -- I'm just like Helicopter Ben. Only I'm not. I stress the need for hard work and responsible behaviour. I don't really think this is the same as the 'helicopter' thing. I only got accused of this because I can't help walking ahead of a child who just had knee surgery and warning her of every obstacle to make sure that she can't get tripped up and then fall down and get hurt. Maybe she won't notice the things that could trip a wounded girl, but I do. And I won't let her go down that way, that's all. It's not a 'helicopter' thing.

1 comment: